1. Who is eligible for consideration for the HCDE Principal Certification Academy program?
Candidates who have an advanced degree (master’s or higher) from an accredited university are eligible for consideration.
2. When can I enroll in the program?
Applicants can enroll as soon as their advanced degree has been conferred or if they are in their last semester of completing their advanced degree.
3. What is required to be considered for acceptance into the program?
4. What is the total program cost?
The total cost is $5,210 (this includes $100 non-refundable application fee and $400 non-refundable deposit fee). A special 5% discount is available if you live/work in Harris County.
5. What is the application fee?
It is a one-time, $100 processing fee.
6. Is there a deposit?
Yes, there is a $400 non-refundable deposit fee at time of admission. It is part of the total program cost of $5,210.
7. When does the fee ($5,210) have to be paid?
8. Can payments be made by credit card?
Yes, you may use our Online Secure Payment System located on our website to make payments on outstanding balances.
9. What is included in the total program cost?
10. Is financial aid available?
No, however you may pursue a bank loan or an external scholarship on your own accord.
11. When does the program begin?
Program offers rolling entry point each month.
12. What is the deadline for submitting required documents to be considered for admissions? (See no. 3 for required documents.)
See no. 11
13. Where can I get information about the TExES test?
14. Where can I take the TExES test?
After you are enrolled in the program, check with program staff. Your file and account must be in good standing and a readiness to test will be verified before test approval is granted.
15. Do I need a probationary certificate?
No, unless you are offered a position that requires a principal certification while you are still in the process of completing the academy.
16. How do I get a probationary certificate?
After you are enrolled in the program, talk with program staff. If you are eligible, you will be issued an official eligibility form that informs a district that you can be recommended for a probationary certificate upon employment as an administrator.
17. What if I get a position as an administrator before I finish the program?
If you meet the qualifications, a probationary certificate can be recommended; however, a probationary certificate can only be recommended after you have a job offer.
18. Do I have to pass the state test before I can be recommended for a probationary certificate?
No. Check with program staff for specifics.
19. Does the HCDE Principal Certification Academy program include AEL/T-TESS training?
No, however you will need to complete this training on your own in order to obtain a final clearance for certification from HCDE. Check with your local regional education service center regarding this training. Frequently, your school district will send you to this training if you are employed as an administrator.
20. What benchmarks must be completed before I can get certification clearance for the standard Texas Principal certificate?
21. Do I have to live in the state of Texas to participate in the HCDE Certification Academy?
Yes. Also, due to the field observations component, admission of candidates completing their practicum outside of the Houston metropolitan area must be approved by program staff.