1. Who is eligible to enroll in the HCDE Teacher ACP?
Applicants who have earned at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited university may apply. See #4 for additional requirements.
2. When can I enroll in the HCDE Teacher ACP?
Applications are taken year-round. Pre-service classes begin in Fall and Spring.
3. How can I get started?
Call Amy Thompson at 713-696-1348 to request information. You may begin by completing an application online.
4. What are the minimum prerequisites to apply?
5. What is the selection process to be admitted to the program?
6. What is the cost of the program and when is it due?
|2017-18 Program Costs||Live/Work in
|Transcript Review Fee (due with Application)||$100||$100|
|Pre-service Phase - Initial Fee (due at Orientation)||$575||$605|
|Pre-service Phase - Pre-service Institute (due four weeks after orientation)||$575||$605|
|Internship Phase - Fee (paid in 10 equal monthly installments, Sept. - June)||$3,475||$3,658|
|Total Program Cost||$4,725||$4,968|
7. What is included in the Total Program cost?
8. Are there other expenses associated with the certification process?
Yes, in addition to program costs, there are external costs (payments to testing company, TEA, district, etc.).
Other External Costs Associated with Teacher Certification Process:
|Texas Probationary Certificate||$52|
|Fingerprinting Fee (approximately)||$39.50|
|Fee for each required TExES exam||$131|
|Teacher standard certificate||$77|
9. When does the program begin?
Cohort cycles start in the Fall and Spring. Please call 713-696-1348 for the latest information.
10. What is the deadline for applying?
One week before the orientation session for pre-service courses.
11. Where will the classes meet?
Face-to-face classes meet at Harris County Department of Education, 6300 Irvington Blvd. Online classes are conducted via the internet.
12. What are the hours for face-to-face classes?
6–9 p.m. weeknights
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays
13. How many courses do I need to complete?
The state requirement is a minimum of 300 contact hours. Depending on your certification area, you will complete between 337 and 385 contact hours of coursework.
14. How long does it take to complete the certification program?
Typically, it takes 17 to 21 months to complete the certification process. This includes one full year of teaching as a teacher of record in your certification field.
15. When will I take the TExES exam?
You will take the TExES content exam(s) in your field during the pre-service phase. Permission to test will be issued by the Director based on demonstration of readiness to test. You will wait to take the TExES PPR EC-12 exam until the Spring semester of your internship year.
16. Where can I get information about the TExES?
17. When do I get an intern certificate?
You must meet eligibility requirements (see no. 18) to accept a job offer and get an intern certificate.
18. Do I have to pass the state exam before I get an intern certificate?
Yes. In addition to passing your TExES content exam(s), you will also need to complete 30 hours of field observations and at least 150 hours of certification coursework before you are eligible to accept a job offer.