Culture & Climate
The Culture of HCDE
HCDE's Center for Safe and Secure Schools has been instrumental in bringing restorative discipline practices to Harris County schools by conducting both onsite and offsite workshops supporting implementation of various restorative practice models.
Research shows that African-American, Hispanic and special needs students are recipients of disproportionate discipline using exclusionary practices such as suspensions, expulsions and assignments to alternative schools, which can lead to increased dropout rates and academic failure among this population of students who need a quality education. Restorative discipline practices offer alternatives to these exclusionary practices by focusing on getting to the root cause of the problem, repairing harm, and building healthy productive relationships in the learning community. Implementing restorative practices requires a shift in the mind as well as in the heart.
- Integration of restorative practices with Positive Behavior Interventions & Support (PBIS)
- Restorative Practice Implementation Training
- Social Emotional Learning & Behavior Mental Health Training for classroom teachers and administrators
- De-Escalation Training for Teachers and Administrators
- How to Bully Proof Your School
- School Culture and Climate Assessment
- Onsite Customized Training