CHANGING LIVES EVERYDAY
*Figures reflect 2017-2018 school year
What is ABS East?
Students with intellectual or behavioral disabilities thrive in Academic and Behavior Schools
The Academic and Behavior Schools East provides an enriching and supportive learning environment for students aged 5-22 with intellectual, developmental and behavioral disorders, autism spectrum disorder and other significant health impairments.
Area school districts contract with HCDE to provide student services at one of our two Academic and Behavior Schools. Our state-aligned curriculum emphasizes academics, life skills and behavior management. With low student-to-teacher ratios, we give students the skills needed to live independently and contribute to society.
Year Opened: 1982
We believe that behaviors are learned by way of environment and relationships. The Boys Town Program supports changes with:
- Researched based behavior management system that is intent on building positive relationships
- Teaching replacement behaviors to bridge social skill gaps and deficits
- Collaboration and inclusive practices that merge the community, parents, and stakeholders for accomplishing the vision and mission of our AB campuses
- Data collection of 4 major categories: Adult Relations, Peer Relations, Classroom Behaviors, and School Rules
- Individualized system to meet each student’s needs
- Target behaviors are targeted using the strategies of researched based corrective teaching
- Deescalating strategies infused with the behavior curriculum
- Motivational token economy: students earn everything by points earned by displaying appropriate behaviors